Thursday, December 18, 2014

3..2..1.. Bungey! (And other tales from my last 2 weeks)

My last few weeks here have been insanely busy and so I haven't had time to blog, so here goes..

QUEENSTOWN

After getting home from Sydney, I had a couple not-so-quiet days of work before my mom came to New Zealand. She had a nice few days in Christchurch and then the two of us went on a vacation to Queenstown. I was told by everyone who had ever been to New Zealand, that Queenstown was a must, so I thought a trip that consisted of more than stopping by for a burger (as good as fergberger was) on the way back from the Routeburn Track was in order. 

We landed Friday night to some sunshine and warm weather and enjoyed the feeling of being on vacation. Work at TTNZ is really busy and between adjusting to daily life in a new country and squeezing in trips every weekend, I was really ready to just relax.We had an amazing dinner on the water as the sun was setting behind the mountains, and just sat back to take it all in.
The view in the opposite direction of the setting sun
Did I mention dinner was awesome?

On Saturday we drove to Arrowtown, a small historic town about 20 minutes from Queenstown, and then on to Wanaka, a more quiet version of Queenstown, but equally as beautiful. It was a bit cloudy but the drive was nice to show my mom some of the classic view of New Zealand.
Mama loving the view on the way to Wanaka
Back in Queenstown after our day trip
Evening at the base of the Remarkables (covered in clouds), the mountain range in Queenstown
The real excitement came on Sunday, though. I convinced my mom (or maybe convinced her that she didn't have a choice) to climb Queenstown Hill. One of the main attractions in Queenstown is a gondola up to the top of a hill where you can then paraglide, zip line, bungee jump, or ride a luge to get down. My mom took the gondola on her last trip in 2009 so she knew how high it was. The hill we climbed was next to the one with the gondola, and the summit was much higher. Starting out, my mom had some doubts, but with a little coercing she made it to the top! We had so much fun - may have turned my mom in to a hiker! 


The Gondola is at about the height of her hand (and we're not even at the top!)
Queenstown!
Love those colors!
Next up was the bungey jump. New Zealand is the home of the bungey and the bridge I jumped from was the location of the first commercial bungey! Before coming to New Zealand, one of my coworkers, who had studied abroad in NZ, told me I HAD to do it... But I wasn't convinced. My middle sister told me to do one thing out of my comfort zone while I was here... And I definitely didn't think this would be it. But when I went to Sydney and talked to Charlie, he said he would be disappointed if I didn't do it and if he came to NZ (which I'm still hoping you do!!) he would do it. So after all the encouraging words, I decided that I too would be disappointed in myself if I went home without doing it and had to tell everyone I wasn't brave enough. I put off signing up until the night before, but once I hit confirm, I knew there was no turning back... Until I was on the ledge.
Not. Letting. Go.
I went to the bridge, super confident that I could bungee jump and not freak out. I was all harnessed up and standing on the edge when I made the biggest mistake you could make, I looked straight down. Instantly I started shaking and rethinking my decision. The guy working told me to wave and smile for the camera... and to take my hand off the handle. I was so scared I would fall or that he would push me (which if course they won't do) that I couldn't let go.


I'll wave but I won't let go. #grassrootsgear #thetribebungeyjumps
A few deep breaths later, we had our final dialogue:

"See that bridge out there. Just look at that. Don't look down"
"I already looked down."
"Do whatever you need to do to get yourself off this platform. Scream. Jump. Anything."
"Oh my god I'm so scared"
"I'm going to count down from 3"
"Can you start at 5?"
"3"
"Oh my god oh my god"
"2.......1..BUNGEY"
"AHHHHHHHHHHH"
And without thinking, I did it. 
Yep, that's me screaming.

And it was awesome. 

There was a life boat at the bottom, so they came out and got me and I walked back up to find my mom who had watched the whole thing. 

After the jump I had a celebratory drink and enjoyed a quiet evening before going back to Christchurch. The legendary Queenstown, also known as adventure town, definitely lived up to is reputation. I loved it so much and can't wait to go back.. But maybe not to bungee jump.


NELSON

The next week at work FLEW by and before I knew it I was on a plane up to Nelson to find my mom again.
Jen and I at our Christmas Party - Part of what made the week go by so fast
It was a funny to see my mom waiting for me at the airport and have a dinner place all picked out, as I had been the host the week before. We had a really nice dinner (again) on the water in Nelson. The water there is just the most gorgeous shade of blue. We spent all day Sunday traveling around the area which is known for both their craft beer and their wineries!
Neudorf Vineyard
We stopped by three wineries for a tasting, an A&P show (kind of like a state fair) to see what it was like, and finished with lunch and a glass of wine at a vineyard close to the airport, before flying back to Christchurch.
Waimea Vineyard
The following day my mom hopped on a plane to Sydney and began her trip back home. It was so nice to have her here! <3

2015

I was sad to lose my visitor and even more sad when I started to realize it was my last week in New Zealand. I have really gotten to enjoy my life in here, though it is a true 180 from my life in New York, which I also love and miss. But my time here just didn't feel complete. There's so much more I want to do and I wasn't ready to say goodbye to my friends. So Wednesday morning, when the head of my office said "Doesn't it just make sense for you to come back?" I had to agree. I did have my objections and reasons why I should stay home, but by the end of the conversation it was decided - I'm going to spend a week in Southern California with my manager and some of the team who have been helping us from the TT Irvine office, and then my manager and I will be flying back to NZ. I'll stay for three weeks until I have to go home to move apartments! Then, I promise, I'm home for good.
Why stop when you're having this much fun??


So the adventures in NZ continue. I will likely get one more trip in. I'm hoping to go to Milford Sound or Franz Joseph Glacier or Mount Cook on my last weekend here. I'll keep you posted :)

Thanks for reading and supporting me for my time abroad. I really needed it in the beginning and I still love it in the end. Now, let's all get home safely for the holidays!



No comments:

Post a Comment