Friday, October 24, 2014

Where am I?

After all the excitement of getting to come to New Zealand, saying bye to all of my friends, and spending a little extra quality time with my sisters and my dad, I landed in New Zealand. That first day if anyone asked me how it was going I responded saying, "it's weird and uncomfortable." Thank you to all of those who responded "It's new and exciting!" I needed that.

My first reaction to NZ was, "wow all the buildings are really short". Similarly, the Thornton Tomasetti office is two stories. No more 18th floor for me. I do sit on the second floor though, so I can see mountains ("hills" - but I'll get to that later) in both directions. The office is quite small, probably 15 people total.  A bunch of people from the office went fishing last weekend and so this Friday we had a fish fry for lunch! Everything in NZ is fried, so in addition to the fish we fried wedges, broccoli, and bananas. It was a great first Friday lunch!
My morning walk to work

That Friday afternoon, the weather was beautiful and some coworkers and I went to an outdoor bar for happy hour. By the time I got home it was 5 am NY time and I was ready for bed. It was great to hang out with the people outside the office, try a few kiwi beers, and have a good laugh. Fun fact: a lot of kiwi beers are "hand poured" which means that they come out kind of like a guiness - no carbonation and about 55 degrees (not cold). I had an IPA which was really strange as a not cold, smooth beer, but apparently is quite common here. I hope you're all as interested on kiwi beer as I am ;) .

Saturday morning, a coworker, Sarah, and I decided to go for a run. She asked me if I wanted to do hills or flats, and I said, let's try the hills. My mistake.. That was a mountain! We walked up most of it, had some spectacular views, saw probably 100 sheep, and ran back down. Sarah is going to move in with a friend for a couple months, so offered to hand off her apartment to me! It's a massive two bedroom apartment (so mom you can stay in your very own room!). I'm so excited to get out of the motel.

I didn't have my camera on Saturday, but I did this route again, and took this picture the second time.
"Excuse me, Pardon me"

With no plans for the rest of the day, I got in my car, memorized my directions because I don't have GPS, and drove out to Akaroa. It's about an hour away, on the peninsula off Christchurch. The roads are extremely windy, but I made it, and the views along the way were breathtaking, despite the overcast skies. I think I'm starting to like NZ :)

View of the Bay in Akaroa, NZ

180 degrees from the last photo
I really liked the orange on the mountain, but a shopkeeper told me its a terrible weed in NZ and they are required by law to spray it or it will spread like crazy ad not die for 20 years.

Thank you guys so much for sending love the past few days -- I really appreciated it even though I was bad at responding. The culture shock from NY to Christchurch was pretty extreme, and I definitely questioned my willingness to accept this job a few times. Someone in the office told me that every person in Christchurch is picked for our ability to adapt to adverse circumstances, and work well under a deadline. I tried to keep that in mind when I was feeling blue.
I think this trip is going to fly by, and I'll be glad I did it, but I'm definitely still adjusting. Luckily, the scenery helps with that :)
Miss you all and love you all! Wish you could be here with me!




No comments:

Post a Comment