Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Very Far From The Rest Of The World: Auckland

"Take an atlas.
Don't be afraid, this isn't a geography lesson. Really and truly, it's the only improving piece in the whole book. But mother said I should let you know where we live, and this is the best way to set about it. 
Now turn to the map of the world. Tucked away down in the south, separated from Australia and America by mile upon mile of blue sea water, you'll see three funny crinkly islands which look as if the waves have been nibbling, mouselike, at their coasts for countless centuries. These three comprise the Dominion of New Zealand, and that is where we live, and where I am going to take you for a while.
Very far from the rest of the world? Yes, but the boys and girls here are very much like the boys and girls anywhere else, father says."
- Six Little New Zealanders, from 1917, my first ever book from a used bookstore




When you're "very far from the rest of the world" you have to rely on friends of friends to get around and connect back to home. This weekend I went to Auckland to see a high school friend of Lindsay (my college friend and running buddy). Though he now lives in Auckland, he spent the first 10 years of his life in England and the next 10 in Cleveland, Ohio (of all places). 

Auckland is the biggest city in New Zealand and nearly 1/3 of the population of the country lives there - I guess that answers my question about where all the people are in Christchurch.

For as large of a city as Auckland is, it still so serene. Most of Auckland is made up of neighborhoods spread out far from the city center, each with a Main Street and a slightly different feel.
Suburbs from the top of One Tree Hill, Auckland
The lifestyle feels quiet and laid back, and the color of the harbor is a brilliant blue. It's hard to realize you're in a major city when you see the color of that water. Across the harbor, are several islands, which are actually sleeping volcanoes. Some of them are northern suburbs, such as Devonport, where we went, and others, such as Rangi Toto, are barren with only hiking trails on them. 
The City of Auckland from Devonport
The city actually reminded me of a south-pacific Honolulu, Hawaii. From the harbour, you can see PWC (thought of you Caitlin!), Deloitte, and various other American companies.
PWC Building for Caitlin Marcoux!
Looking out across the harbor you can see the entire kiwi navy (consisting of two ships - they don't have many enemies). And around the side of the harbor, there are the most beautiful beaches full of people paddle boarding, playing volleyball, and soaking up the sun. Where else can you find a major navy base, a Deloitte office, and beautiful beaches? Honolulu.
Honolulu or Auckland: Where you'd rather be.


But Auckland has a ton of it's very own history, and loves to show its historic side. On my first day, after a delicious meal on Devonport, we went to the Auckland Art Museum.  It had some interesting light show exhibits going on, but somehow we ended up going to the room with art featuring the Maori culture. Maori are one of the native groups in New Zealand. In 1840 the British and the Maori set up the Treaty of Waitangi to give Maori the right of British colonists, as long as they accepted British sovereignty. Since the time of the treaty, the British have violated the treaty, and as a penalty have had to return many land rights to the Maori people. As a results, much of the land in Auckland is currently owned by the Maori people, and a mutual respect seems to be present between the two cultural groups.

After a little bit of history, we got back to the fun stuff - shopping and eating. I saw the main shopping areas, the main department store (which was already decorated for Christmas), and a shopping road called Karangahape road where I bought my used book. Before leaving the city for the day, I asked to stop by a little bakery I saw online. It was an adorable milk and cookie bar called Moustache. It was the cutest little bakery where all you could really get was milk, cookies, or coffee. The milk was meant for dunking, and so we got a couple different kinds of cookies and had a fantastic time dunking them in milk. I can't remember the last time I did that. 

Milk and Cookie Combo,  Please
Milk made for dunking :)

At night I got to meet some of Nick's friends, and they were so fun to hang out with. I'm not a huge fan of the Kiwi accent, but one of Nick's friends was named Charlotte, and the way they said her name was just perfect. "I believe in you, CHA-lit!". We went to a few bars around Auckland, and had a ton of fun. Coincidentally, one of the bars we went to was a sister bar of one of my favorite places in Sydney.
Tea pot cocktails! Look familiar, Steph and Skye?


We spend my last day shopping, eating fish and chips on the beach, and wandering around the botancial gardens, and before I knew it, it was time to head back to Christchurch.

Mission Bay, Auckland

It was really nice getting way for the weekend, and seeing another city in New Zealand, but I have to admit, a part of me felt right at home when I got back to quiet little Christchurch. It might be the nice spring weather we've had the last few days, but something about this place is certainly growing on me :) It's not like any other place else I've been in the world, but its becoming my little place, and I'll always remember the two months I got to live "very far from the rest of the world".

Evening run in Hagley Park, Christchurch


No comments:

Post a Comment